Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"back in the saddle again..."

In the days after our decision not to move, I noticed a peace that seemed to have settled upon my husband. Once the choice was made, it was made...no second guessing. I wish I could say the same.
Although Jim would be still working for several months, he spoke to me about the first of the "cuts" we might have to make in the future if he couldn't find work...eating out after church, cable channels, cancelling the newspaper, our phone (the land line), our daughter's piano lessons. It was this last one that got me up and out looking for some part-time work.
I haven't held a paying job in 17 years. That is not to say I haven't worked. When my daughter was in elementary school, there was the PTA, and volunteering in the classroom and media center several times a week. As the years went on, I became more active in my church, joining several committees, the choir, and teaching sunday school. Still, it had been a while since I had brought home a paycheck and I wasn't quite sure just what I was going to put down on the application forms.
With the start of the holiday season just around the corner, I reasoned, this would be a perfect opportunity to apply for a p/t seasonal job that would ease me back into the workforce. So I put on a nice outfit and hit the local mall going store to store. I decided to be honest and straightforward from the beginning, explaining right away that I was re-entering the job market after a 17 year gap. Most people I spoke to were understanding and kind. With the economy depressed, more and more they were seeing homemakers and seniors returning to work. This, however didn't guarantee me a job. The economy had led many to downsize the amount of Christmas help they were hiring and, naturally, they were going to take the ones with a more current work history. When I received a call to come in for a formal interview from a ladies clothes shop, I was surprised and excited.
I started work two weeks ago. I dutifully noted the dress code requirements the shop manager outlined. She was quite emphatic as she empasized hair, makeup, accessories and dress clothes-no jeans! Since I had given away most of my wardrobe as I've lost weight, I didn't have much to choose from. I went out and purchased two pairs of dress slacks, a couple shirts and comfortable, yet attractive shoes. I made an appointment to get my hair cut. I was spending my paycheck before I even made it, but I reasoned I needed to pass the store manager's inspection.
My first day, was training. I listened to several DVD's explaining store policies and what to do if you suspect someone of shoplifting.
I really started working the next day. After my seven hour shift, I came home and got into bed with some Advil and our heating pad on my lower back. I had forgotten how hard it was to stand for hours on end. I worked only 4 hours the next day and five the day after that. I finished the week with a grand total of 16 hours. At minimum wage, I figure I made about $116. I don't know how much I will bring home, as they hold back the check for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment